[Zope3-dev] There's something wrong with having message ids in schemas

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:26:31 EST 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 10:09, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > Here is the catch though. `zope.schema` would still depend on
> > `zope.i18nmessageid`. But the benefit is that only `zope.schema` would
> > need some code to handle the case when the `zope.i18nmessageid` code is
> > not available.It would definitely free all `zope.*` packages of the
> > explicit `zope.i18nmessageid` dependency.
>
> You're proposing to remove all usage of _()?

I propose that mainly for interfaces, so that we can I18n-enabled interfaces,
but do not need to mark up other code.

> But then how does xgettext or pygettext identify translatable strings in
> the source code?

We find out about the message ids the same way we get them in ZCML. We execute
the interfaces.py file and the fromUnicode() method of MessageID could
somehow collect the data for us. This would not be too tricky to do actually.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter