[Zope3-dev] FYI: python plugin distribution format discussion on Distutils-SIG

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 9 13:44:36 EST 2004

Just a heads-up for any Zopistas that might be interested.  There's a
discussion taking place on the Distutils-SIG regarding a binary format for
distributing "plugins" like Zope Products or Chandler Parcels.  The idea is
to have something like a "bdist_plugin" command to build them, and have
them be (in the simple case) just .zip files you can add to
sys.path.  Ideally, they will also automatically deal with whatever
platform issues are needed in order to load extension modules and bundled
libraries, as well.  Last, but not least, there will be some kind of way to
add application metadata to the plugin files, such as including a
'configure.zcml' for use by Zope.

I'm assuming that these characteristics in and of themselves would make
this concept useful for Zope, but it may be that there are issues or use
cases that I am not aware of, that would require input on this project from
someone more knowledgeable than I.

Such a format could also be useful for distributing Zope itself, or other
Python applications, using a mechanism similar to that used to make Java
.jar files executable on some platforms.

An archive of the thread so far can be found starting at:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2004-December/004327.html