[Zope3-dev] menuitem constraints or another wish

Roger ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Mon Jan 5 16:58:27 EST 2004

Hello zope3 developers

What do you think about to have a menuItem in form of a
javascript? Is there a way to do that.

A example; I whould like to add a zmi_actions who calls
a javascript for do stuff like xmlhttp requests.

But is there a option to add a menuItem (action)
which calls a javascript? I think the attribute action
in the menuItem directive don't allowed to use others
then a real callable views.

I whould like to add a menuItem like;

<menuItem
    menu="zmi_actions"
    for="AInterface"
    action="javascript:setBrowserWidth('browser','navigation_width','200')"
    title="Set a custom property"
    description="This menu item calls a xmlhttp request in the background
and
                 set the property navigation_width on the browser profile
                 to 200 pixel." />

or call a view not directly, just call a view by a javascript. And the
javascript is calling the view. This way we can do stuff in the background
without to refresh the html page.
Example;

<menuItem
    menu="zmi_actions"
    for="AInterface"
    action="javascript:setMyProperty('@@aView.html', 'attr1', 'attr2')"
    title="Calls th script"
    description="This menu callsa xmlhttp request in the background and
                 set the property navigation_width on the browser profile
                 to 200 pixel." />

Then javascript is calling the view "@@aView.html" with the given
attr1 and attr2, does something we want an returns a javascript
alert or debugs a status message with a javascript method like
"debug" in xmltree.js.

Is there a way to do that?
Or should I implement a own (menuItem) directive in our project?

Regards
Roger Ineichen
Projekt01 GmbH
www.projekt01.ch