[Zope3-dev] ZODB or zodb

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Jan 12 14:26:43 EST 2004

[Jim Fulton]
> Mark McEahern wrote:
>
> blah blah blah
>
> Jim and Fred broke Zope 3 on windows
>
> blah blah blah
>
> :)

That's a fair summary <wink>.

> Right. I guess we should back this out.  The only way to do this,
> really is to remove the links in the repository.  This will cause
> errors in existing checkouts.  For most folks who aren't modifying
> Zope 3, this shouldn't present a problem. They'll just have to check
> out Zope 3 again. If anyone has sandboxes they care about, they'll
> have to edit their CVS Entries files. I guess that this is not as bad
> as the current pain.

I don't know:  how many people are building Zope3 on a Windows box?  Mark's
was the only report so far, and he stumbled into it as a Zope3 newbie (which
is a bad initial experience, so I don't want to minimize it).  I used to at
least run the Zope3 tests religiously on Windows, but stopped doing so some
months ago as other tasks crowded it out.  Chris Withers seems to have
stopped doing his overnight Windows test runs some time ago too.  Anyone
else?

> So, I propose to remove the links in the repository, breaking (in a
> fixable way) current checkouts, but making Zope 3 work on Windows
> again.
>
> Any objections? If not, I'll do this tonight.

Will this leave you and Fred with a reasonable way to make progress on the
ZODB3 migration?  Getting that done is (IMO) more important than some
short-term Zope3 pain unique to the CVS version of Zope3 on Windows.