[Zope3-dev] Re: [AdaptersForMenuItems] Disabling and menu item icons

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Tue Jan 13 16:44:03 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Caseman wrote:
>> I'm assuming that menus could also be used to define toolbars, which
>> would require icons. There is also a convention in modern GUIs for
>> many menus to include icons.
>
> Good point.
>
>> Perhaps both of these should be configured with the view rather than
>> with the menu itself. Either way I think both are pretty important to
>> support.
>
> I think it makes the most sense to configure these are part of the menu
> item definition.  This can be an additional feature of the browser menu
> item
> type.

It seems to me that icons are strongly tied to the view capabilities and
configuration and should not be a part of a general menu item
definition. E.g.

- What size are the icons -- menu toolbars support 16x16 (small) and
32x32 (large) displays.

- As pointed out in another message, disabled icons are usually dimmed.
These should be explicitly configurable in cases where the UI cannot
apply an image trasnform (e.g. most browsers).

- Occassionally, additional icons are specified for rollover event --
e.g. to depict raised or pressed states.

I see menu icons as an application of adapters. E.g.

   IMenuItemIconDefault (or just IMenuItemIcon)
   IMenuItemIconDisabled
   IMenuItemIconRaised
   IMenuItemIcodLowered

I suppose the different sizes could be provided via multi-way
adaptation, with the size passed as a second object.

  -- Garrett