Roadmap (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function)

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Thu Jan 22 14:06:07 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Work continues on Zope 2 and Zope 3.  We want Zope X3 to happen as soon
> as possible.  This is mainly being delayed by a desire to get major
> restructuring/
> cleanup out of the way first.

You know I like the cleanup.  I'm also at the point where I want it to
stop very, very soon, though.  I'd like to be able to use Zope X3, and
while you've bent over backwards to try to keep compatibility throughout
the development cycle, there is an practical API solidity to a real 1.0
release, and I'd like to have it.

> I'm open to reducing the scope of X3 to make it happen sooner.

We have said that Zope X3 is for people who don't need to worry too much
about migration, or can handle it themselves.  Zope 3 is for Zope 2-Zope
3 compatibility.

Why don't we change that to be Zope X3 is for developers and users, and
Zope 3 is for the full set of use cases?  I feel that a release to
developers, and the associated commitment that implies, will attract
developers--and then the Zope 3 community will have more hands to try to
approach the other many valid use cases.

This approach probably wouldn't change a whit of what the core
developers are doing at this instant--ZODB work, event service work, and
the like.  All the stuff that is being done now needs to be done.  But
it *would* eliminate some chunks of the tasks required before a X3 1.0
release.

Having a hard deadline, reasonably soon, for Zope X3, and being forced
to prune features on the basis of that deadline, would be very, very
cool.  And I'd focus it on the developers, because they are the people
that can help do all the rest.

As to the Zope2-Zope3 stuff, yes, obviously you know I think we need it.
;-)  I'm not really riffing on that theme.

Gary