[Zope3-dev] Nine new ZC Zope 3 packages

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Feb 6 06:51:19 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 06 February 2006 06:13, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Is this stuff intended to end up in the zope core eventually? If so,
>>what steps will need to be taken? I imagine this also ties into the eggs
>>story, but the question on the zope core perhaps still stands - what
>>would be a dependency of the zope core?
>

> In light of the recent discussion at the Plone Snowsprint, there is a general
> desire to have a common repository for Zope 3 addons that are useful, but
> might not be appropriate for the core. In my opinion we would like to be able
> to control the license and quality of this repository. Basically, it should
> be core-quality/ready code in an add-on place. Thus, it would also require
> those packages to follow the Zope 3 development process. I have had positive
> feedback about this idea from the Plone developers.

Also important is regular releases for these packages. Released versions do:

* publicity

* make it clear for which zope version my add-on package release is
going to work. Right now it's unclear whether the add-ons are for Zope
3.2, or Zope 3 trunk, or what.

Additionally, we should make it easy for people to install these
packages in a canonical way. Right now, this is confusing... I had some
things to say about general package layout here:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2005/10/07/0

With a package in the 'zope' namespace, what am I supposed to do when I
install it? Symlink it into lib/python of my Zope 3 software home?

When I have two separate packages in the zc namespace, how am I supposed
to install that?

I can get it all working of course, but it's non-obvious and there are
multiple ways to do it. There should a single obvious way to do it.

I'm also worried about putting non-core packages into the namespace
'zope'. It's unclear what ZC's policy is in this; some packages are in
the 'zope' namespace, other packages are in 'zc'. And not only ZC is
adding things to the 'zope' namespace; there's zope.paste, for instance.

Eggs and setuptools may make some of these points less important, but I
don't know how far away this is in the future. Perhaps we should do
something now, like write a document on what the policy is.

Regards,

Martijn