[Zope3-dev] Selecting a code name

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Feb 6 14:31:06 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:53:29PM -0500, Benji York wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> >Stephan Richter wrote:
> >>Okay, I am giving in on this. There is a three step process that will
> >>have to be fullfilled to assign a codename to the Zope 3.3 release.
> >
> >I'd say assigning a name is a responsibility of the release manager.
>
> As I understand it the "codename idea" wasn't to have a codename per
> release (like Ubuntu), but a name in addition to "Zope 3" to help
> differentiate it from Zope 2.  I'm +0 on the latter and -1 on the former.

Me too.

I can never keep straight codenames of second-dot releases.
Both OSX and Ubuntu's release names confuse the heck out of me.

"Mac OSX" in itself, on the other hand, was brilliant.
With one letter they managed to establish:

* this is significantly different from OS 9

* this is cutting-edge (subtly invoking the "eXtreme" thing, and yet they
  never had to use the word "extreme" which is frankly getting
  tackier by the day.)

I wouldn't mind something with similar impact for zope 3 as a whole, not
for point releases.  Too bad we don't have the same serendipitous
cool-looking roman numeral... "Zope III" doesn't quite do the job ;-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com