[Zope3-dev] Hyping Zope3 contest? (was: Selecting a code name)

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Feb 9 05:02:56 EST 2006

Gary Poster wrote:
[snip]
> You say this in your other message:
> """
> Somehow people don't seem to be discussing other activities much in  the
> recent threads, such as the writing intro text, of tutorials,  designing
> and presenting screencasts, gathering links and other  information.
> """
>
> Seems like just the sort of individual things that a split-up
> competition would be good for, to me.  Add in something silly, like
> most fun logo or silliest slogan, just for spice, and it even sounds
> like you have a nice balance of categories.

I fear that a split up competition will have a lot of people come up
with slogans, some with logos, and nobody with a decent tutorial.

> Your list also sounds like things that can be done out of the context
> of a grand website effort, and used as useful raw materials for such  an
> effort.

Again, I believe that without fixing Zope's web presence all other Zope
marketing activities are pretty much futile. *Within the context* of the
zope web presence this can work, of course, but I expect people to do a
bit more work than just talk.

I may be wrong about this; if so please give me the reasons I'm missing
why a slogan or logo in isolation would really help Zope's marketing.

> Whatever, I was only volunteering to try and help.  I'm beyond,  beyond
> swamped.  I'm thrilled that folks are working on the zope.org  site.
> Thank you.

I'm not doing much, but I took a few hours a few months ago to write
some text, and since then I'm spending time trying to get other people
to do some bits as well. Some people have been doing so. I think if we
can just keep this up we can get somewhere.

> Perhaps other loose boutique sites, as I had  envisioned,
> for individual projects such as the Zope 3 effort, can  grow at a later
> time.

Right now I expect we may end up doing the following:

* create a boutique site for Zope. No community features, but nice
presentation and intro text, and download information for Zope.

* from this, create a resource for zope 3 in the form of tutorials,
screencasts. This may be on another site or part of the original site. I
think we'll get the most energy in producing Zope 3 compared to Zope 2,
so we'll go with the flow.

* retire zope.org as much as possible and replace it with the new
frontend. Quite possible we cannot do this straight away at all - We
need it for all the resources hidden away in it, and I worry about
breaking links, so this is a problem. We also have a working zope
extension upload system on there that I worry about replacing. Just
replacing its outer layer with a boutique website of Zope may however be
enough already.

I'm happy to see a competition for a boutique site, and whether people
present a new zope.org or zope3.org is up to them; this may influence
whether we end up with a separate zope3.org or an integrated zope.org.

Regards,

Martijn