[Zope3-dev] Re: Re: Who would use this crazy thing called Zope 3?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Feb 11 09:24:27 EST 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:39:52 -0000, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> things. Extreme example: In Plone the core Plone product is called
>> CMFPlone. It pisses Alexander off. Should we rename it 'Plone' and thus
>> break every product that ever imported from CMFPlone? Should we make a
>> jungle of aliases and deprecation warnings? Or should we live with our
>> mistakes? In this case, the benefit is marginal and the potential
>> confusion and breakage is high. That trade-off point moves with time,
>> though, as the more major parts of the framework become "right" and as
>> the
>> user base increases. However, that same user base will not increase
>> beyond
>> those who are so well-informed that they know what they're getting
>> themselves into, if the software gets a reputation for breaking your
>> code.
>>
>> I guess the question is, how far along that curve is Zope 3? How far
>> along
>> does it want to be?
>
> It's curvature point is  6.3 milliMartins. ;-)

Hah :)

> There are methods for neatly deprecating things like this, and they
> have been employed consitently in Zope 3, and quite consistetly in
> later versions of Zope2. For example,  in Zope 2.8 the whole Zope
> package was renamed Zope2. The Zope.py backwards compatibility handler
> will be removed in Zope 2.11.  I'm not aware of this causing any
> problems.

There are two types of deprecation, though - one is deprecating specific
packages or methods or classes. Another is deprecating fundamental
patterns and ways of working. Am I supposed to use ZCML for this or
Python? Well, a while ago, it was ZCML, now it's python, and then maybe
it'll be something that looks completely different. Now I'm told that the
ZODB is the de-facto way of storing content. Maybe soon the default may be
a filesystem. Mmm...

I just wonder how someone who isn't already "in the know" and on this list
would hope to keep up with all these twists and turns. That is - I wonder
how those who have deployed on Zope 3 deal with them.

Martin

--
(muted)