[Zope3-dev] One namespace for ZCML

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Feb 13 12:13:12 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Yet again looking for comments, this time at:
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/OneNamespaceForZCML.

-1.

Prefixing 'browser' directives in the tag names to me is a big warning
bell that you really do want to use different namespaces. Another
example of the namespace mechanism working is that some people are using
it in their projects, adding namespaces specific to their project. It'd
feel ugly to me if I had to insert my own configuration directives into
Zope's.

Finally, a general use of programming should be to use the language's
namespace directive instead of prefixes, if the language does offer an
effective namespace directive.

So, please don't try to fix this now. Work on reducing the complexity of
existing directives first, and work on deprecating directives. Then
reconsider this one.

Perhaps after this other step, matters will be clearer. I suspect quite
a few of the directives that can go away are in the 'small' namespaces,
such as mail. We may also want to move some directives to other
namespaces. If all directives disappear from a namespace, so can the
namespace. The potential for win can be much larger while the potential
for breakage is much smaller, as we can do this step by step.

I really think that the discussion on namespaces is so common not
because it's so important, but because it's an easy thing to comment on
and talk about. People are less likely to have huge discussions about
larger but harder to understand issues.

In the spirit of that, I will next talk about your proposal to remove
specific ZCML directives.

Regards,

Martijn