[Zope3-dev] Indirection Reporter

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Feb 13 15:21:24 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 12:18, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Thoughts?  Will it work?  Should it be a priority?
>

> I like the idea a lot and you could reuse quiet a bit of apidoc code to
> produce some nice output.
>
> But my main question is: How will you be able to do this? :-) I could see a
> special hook into the adapter lookup. But then you would just get every
> adapter lookup sorted chronically. Will that be helpful? I think we would
> have to think very hard about what type of information is useful. If you have
> ideas, I would love to hear them.

A simple chronological output might be enough for many cases.  Showing
stack context might help.  Filtering will probably provide for most
other needs.  Users will normally use this with some question in mind,
like "what browser views is this page using?"  To answer that question,
the user will probably filter the report to show only adaptation from
(any_object, IBrowserRequest).  We'll need experience with the tool to
find out what filters are most useful.  Then we'll provide a menu of
predefined filters.

Shane