[Zope3-dev] Re: One namespace for ZCML

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Tue Feb 14 08:48:42 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Yet again looking for comments, this time at:
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/OneNamespaceForZCML.

Let me add my -1 to this.

I'm all for reducing the number of namespaces in the standard directives,
and reducing the number of directives too, but getting rid of namespaces, as
others have pointed out, removes clean ways of extending ZCML for
third-party frameworks.

For example CPS currently has a cps:upgradeStep directive:

   <cps:upgradeStep
       title="Upgrade catalog from Zope 2.7"
       handler=".upgrade.upgrade_catalog_Z28"
       checker=".upgrade.check_upgrade_catalog_Z28"
       sortkey="-10"
       />

   <cps:upgradeStep
       title="Clean catalog of broken objects"
       source="3.3.4" destination="3.3.5"
       handler=".upgrade.upgrade_334_335_clean_catalog"
       />

Now you could have a "CpsUpgradeStep" directive, but I hope everyone agrees
that prefixing names is a poor man's way of doing namespaces.

You could also maybe provide the same info using two or three other standard
directives, but that would be very inconvenient.

Maybe a simple zope 3 component doesn't need to provide extensions to ZCML
using a namespace, but any *framwework* on top of it will quickly need them.

Finally

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com