[Zope3-dev] My proposals on simplifying ZCML

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Feb 15 05:49:22 EST 2006

Dear all,

thanks to everyone who commented my two proposals on simplifying ZCML.
Here are some updates:

Reducing the amount of ZCML directives
--------------------------------------

I've updated this proposal slightly. It now mentions the important
characteristics of ZCML directives and lists an additional risk pointed
out by Martijn. It also proposes to simplify the content/class
directive, something which I had forgotten to mention before.

Still look for comments at
http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReducingTheAmountOfZCMLDirectives ...

One namespace for ZCML
----------------------

There have a lot of negative comments on this (even though my initial
idea got several +1 on this list). I think the discussion was still
helpful. It definitely proved my point that we don't really have good
guidelines for managing ZCML namespaces. A lot of people also agreed
with me that we have too many namespaces. My proposal of removing all
namespaces was a bit too drastic, I guess.

I will create a new proposal that will "only" focus on:
* coming up with guidelines for creating and managing ZCML namespaces
* consolidating some unnecessary namespaces that we have today into one
* making ZCML a better citizen with other XML dialects

I'll welcome any suggestions if some of you have any...

Stay tuned :).

Philipp