[Zope3-dev] Re: Last chance to comment on Simplify skinning

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 15 07:31:12 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> a while back I wrote a proposal on simplifying the skinning system
> (http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifySkinning). I got a lot of useful
> feedback which in turn made me update the proposal. Since then I haven't
> heard much comments. I would like to start implementing it soon,
> especially since the time schedule has been moved up one month. Please
> speak up now if you got any remaining comments.

Hi Philipp,

I really appreciate your efforts in simplifying skinning.

FWIW:

In CMF things are very easy to understand, because a layer is simply a
folder. I can explain that in five minutes to a template programmer.

Maybe this sounds a bit NAIVE, but would it be possible to make it like
in CMF?

Use case: Integrate an existing application into my Web site, e.g. a forum.

1. Create a folder for the customized forum skin

$ mkdir forum-skin

2. Register this folder

<blah:skin-folder
     path="forum-skin"
     />

3. Customize everything from original forum skin

$ cd forum-skin
$ cp $ORIGINAL_FORUM_SKIN/*.pt .
$ vi *

This is oversimplified, I know :)

Another note: when I see this I feel a cold shudder:

<browser:resource
     name="zope3logo.gif"
     file="shanghailogo.gif"
     type=".interfaces.ShanghaiSkin"