[Zope3-dev] Re: One namespace for ZCML

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Feb 15 07:36:00 EST 2006

Roger Ineichen wrote:
> I'm interessted in a menu / menu item refactoring.
>
> This means, we could get rid of the implicit magicly
> registred menus in other directives which ends in
> unaccessible menu items and will offer a better
> accessible API. I will write a proposal later, but perhaps
> I have to prototype first since this part is very complex
> and used almost in every browser directive.

Note that my other proposal, ReducingTheAmountOfZCMLDirectives, mentions
something like this in the end (it's not really part of the actual
proposal anymore, just some random thoughts):

"""
Many directives of the browser namespace support the registration of
menu items in addition to registering the component in question. Though
this can be considered useful because it might save some typing, keeping
directives as simple as possible (on/off switches!) might be weighed
higher. People are certainly intimidated by the length of some of the
browser directives (such as browser:editform); by taking the menu
functionality out, we could reduce many directives by two lines making
them easier to understand by themselves (of course, we'll have to add
another menu directive, but it'll only be 3 or so lines).
"""

If you got any further comments on this, I'd be happy to hear them. It
doesn't *have* to be a proposal, but it would sure be nice :).

Philipp