[Zope3-dev] Re: tal:define="..." considered harmful?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 15 10:41:36 EST 2006

Balazs Ree wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:59:32 +0100 Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>>

>>>I've being working on integrating Balazs Ree's CTAL interpreter recently
>>>(added tests, fixes, etc.). CTAL is the equivalent of TAL but for
>>>javascript.
>>
>>I just googled around for this, and couldn't find it, but I'm intrigued.
>>Any link?
>

> I made it some time ago just as an experiment, I was interested in having
> the equivalent of TAL on the client side. The implementation is far from
> complete but it's actually usable. If you are interested, best to check it
> out from the link Jean-Marc gave in the other mail (and I indeed might put
> it up somewhere in svn on its own).

A separate svn project would be nice. I'm sure z3lab is open; it's also
welcome under the z3 base on codespeak.

> I think the main advantage is that if someone already knows TAL can
> generate html from a template and raw data on the client side (which
> is one of the tipical AJAX usage patterns) without the need to learn
> another method or write dom manipulation in javascript.

Right, that was my motivation too - I googled around for
javascript-based templating languages but realized there wasn't really
anything. Of course XSLT can be used this way too, but TAL is kinda neat
too. Still, I couldn't think of much practical use for this. Perhaps in
this AJAXy world this has changed.

Are you interested in recovering some of there Zope TAL based regex
stuff from Sapling? I'd be happy to merge it in. ctal doesn't appear to
have this yet. 'ctal' is a somewhat confusing name by the way, you'd
think it was TAL implemented in C, another interesting project I've
dabbled with on and off in the past.

We had an CVS to SVN conversion earlier this week, so sapling's source
code is now here:

https://infrae.com/viewvc/sapling/trunk/

(check it out with: svn co https://infrae.com/svn/sapling/trunk sapling)

It has tests and everything. :)