[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Feb 15 19:37:18 EST 2006

Max M wrote:
> The problem is that all the people used to LAMP will come to Zope and
> think "Well I will need to think differently here. Thats a bother. I
> will use sql for everything like usual." And so we will get a lot of
> duplicated efforts and half-baked Zope developers, who will desperately
> try to use Zope for SQL development.

Because of this concern, I'm putting this off for a while.  I think it
addresses a major hole in Zope, but it also creates two ways to
accomplish similar tasks without a clear division between the two ways.
  Note that the Python language, despite its philosophy, has at least
two ways to accomplish things: with functions or with classes.  In this
case, two ways are definitely better than one, IMHO.

But before Zope acquires a new way to create web sites, we need to
better understand whether that's a burden Zope ought to bear.  It could
turn out that people who don't want ZODB really shouldn't use Zope at
all.  I would find that conclusion disheartening, but maybe it's realistic.

Shane