[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 web root

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Feb 16 11:25:59 EST 2006

Jeff Shell wrote:
> I thought this uniformity of a development model was the Zope 3
> message. Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.  To create the home page, web developers are directed
to put a page template in ZODB.  This is completely different from what
you do.  What should they do instead?  I don't know.

> I know we were still trying to provide other
> messages at some point, including making things like 'sqlexpression'
> and full python statements available to through-the-web ZPT templates
> (and only to those, not to ViewPageTemplateFile type ones), but didn't
> think they were really taken or used seriously. I couldn't get them to
> work half the time anyways, so I never found use for them. I did find
> occasion to use a few TAL statements here and there in content space,
> but that's it. And that's only for a couple of deployments. Are others
> seriously developing with templates and scripts in 'content space' in
> Zope 3? Why? How?

TTW page templates are featured prominently in Zope 3's user interface.
  If we think TTW page templates are a bad idea, they should not be in
the user interface!

Shane