[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Feb 17 18:45:24 EST 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:35:00 -0000, Shane Hathaway
> <shane at hathawaymix.org>  wrote:
>
>> No, we're still confused.  Templates and scripts are code.  Should
>> they  be in ZODB?  Grrr, I hope not.  I don't want to suffer that
>> pain, fssync  or no fssync.  I invented the CMF skins tool primarily
>> to pull a lot of  templates and scripts out of ZODB.  I invented Ape
>> to pull them *all*  out.  Now I'm having trouble convincing myself to
>> use Zope 3 because the  problem has to be solved somehow yet again!
>

> I'm slightly confused too... when are you putting scripts and scripts
> in  the ZODB? The books I read didn't tell me to do so ....

User interfaces speak louder than books.  Start up Zope 3, log in as a
manager, and look at the list of things you can add.  It includes DTML
Page, File, Image, Python Page, SQL Script, and ZPT Page.  I suggest
that no one should be invited to create these kinds of objects in ZODB;
it's a road to misery.  We need rip them out and develop another way to
fulfill the use cases they represent.

Shane