[Zope3-dev] Re: Re: Zope 3 web root

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Feb 17 19:35:31 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:45:24 -0000, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org>
wrote:

> User interfaces speak louder than books.  Start up Zope 3, log in as a
> manager, and look at the list of things you can add.  It includes DTML
> Page, File, Image, Python Page, SQL Script, and ZPT Page.  I suggest
> that no one should be invited to create these kinds of objects in ZODB;
> it's a road to misery.  We need rip them out and develop another way to
> fulfill the use cases they represent.

Heh, my Z3 experience is limited to theory + some Five work so far.
Seriously, though - do people need these? If so, what for?

I must say I'm a bit disappointed to learn this. I thought this was
exactly the kind of think Zope 3 *didn't* encourage because it learnt
lessons from Zope 2. I may be naive about when these are needed, of course.

But I'd like to see them switched off by default if no-one can make a
convincing case for why they should be there (except, well, you know, they
were there in Zope 2, and we thought someone may have liked them). I'm
sure I'm missing something obvious, though.

Martin

--
(muted)