[Zope3-dev] The Zope Software Certification Program and Common Repository Proposal

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 06:09:10 EST 2006

(Cutting down the posting to only zope3-dev)

Interesting initiative. I have just a couple of comments.

First, about the IP: The idea that we can use the same certification
process for different repositories and different code owners is
interesting. In that case, there could be a common
listing/certification site, covering several repositories that all are
a part of the certification process. I like that better than saying
that the code has to be owned by ZF to ber certified, because that
more or less kills the idea of certification in the first place... :)

Onto other things:

> tests (in doctest format)

This seems like a very random requirement for me. I'd like to see
tests that can be run with the standard test-runner, otherwise I don't
see a reason to restrict it. I find doctest greating for testing docs,
and testing longer use cases. Otherwise I don't like it at all, and
see absolutely no reason to force people to only use doctests.

> Packages of this level are considered fit for the Zope 3 core with the
> reservation of the core developers to provide or require small improvements.

I'm not sure I understand what you say here. You say that level one
packages are almost good enough to be zope 3 core, and that the other
levels are good enough to be Zope3 core, even though they are not?

> [1] For small packages it will suffice, if the documentation is available
>       via a Web site of the repository. For projects having a homepage, the
>       documentation *must* be available there.

When you say "Web site of the repository" do you mean svn access via
http? Because there could be more, we could give each project a small
auto-generated website which contains documentation and releases, in
the way of codespeak. This would force every project to keep the
documentation in the same format, suitable for automatic generation
into HTML and other formats, which I guess is something we would like
anyway. In that case, documentation could be on this "project-page"
and if you have any other homepage for the project, you could just
link there.

> Achieving the first status of being a listed package is
> an automated process.

I'm not 100% clear on the "listed" status. A listed package is still
in the repository, is that right? So anybody with repository access
can create the package and create the meta data and then list it, is
that the idea?