[Zope3-dev] zodb __parent__ and weakref

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 06:21:37 EST 2006

Shaun,

You need to get into the habbit of CC'ing in the list you're replying too...

shaunc at speakeasy.net wrote:
> The data is in Postgres, but I already have a python data marshalling/demarshalling/business logic used by other processes, so I want to use this interface with ZOPE as well.

Okay, and what is this interface?

> Should I be trying to inherit from Persistent rather than __getstate__, __setstate__? ... perhaps there is a way as flagging a member volatile?... Or that I want to control refresh myself?

I don't see what implementing IContainer has to do with Persistent,
__getstate__ or __setstate__... or am I missing something?

> I thought that overriding __getstate__ and __setstate__ simply overrides pythons default versions of these, which would be called just as often as my versions. I guess perhaps the default versions are especially efficient because they just pass the instance dictionary back and forth(? -- but then what does ZODB do with the instance dictionary? Why does it ask for it if the object itself is ok?)

Don't worry about any of these things, just don't try and implement
anything funky, you don't need to and you're likely to get hurt, as
you've found...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk