[Zope3-dev] Brainstorming about browser pages

Peter Simmons pete-lists at bcmpweb.com
Wed Feb 22 18:20:15 EST 2006

Been busy but caught up now, thanks for taking this further (and
everyone else I will get to the end soon).

In an earlier email I mentioned "tools" for making doing ZCML easier for
not technical types e.g. a site administrator that was mainly a content
creator (we have a lot of these as clients). the Use case I was thinking
of was one of the above people wanted to install a new component to add
some functionality to their site. e.g. add a shopping cart/checkout
component . I think it would be great if the site administrator could
add this component to their site without having to contact a developer.
After all the component isn't changing and its a component they just
work right. The type of tool I was meaning could be something like a TTW
way to do this, or some kind of desktop application. It has some
specific use cases like add this component, customise this particular
template to be one named XYZ instead of ABC. The site administrator
doesn't need to know ZCML to do this but understand the concept. This
tool knows how to do all things in ZCML but nothing in python as python
is the developers domain. We therefore need to make sure that everything
a site admin might want to do is possible in ZCML.

Anyway it might not be a realistic idea but the use case is something
that really will happen.

Someone also said:

For example, has anyone had people, who don't know or can't handle
Python AT ALL, hook up page templates?

We have this all the time in the plone sites we are currently doing so I
imagine it will continue as we move to zope 3 way of doing things. I
guess there are other ways for the designers to change the template that
gets used by a particular piece of content (e.g. just change the
contents of the template) but in reality they do find going into
portal_types and changing the template on an action useful. Am I
understanding correctly that the way you do that type of thing in zope 3
is via the ZCML at the moment?

Cheers,
Pete