[Zope3-dev] The Zope Software Certification Program and Common Repository Proposal

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Thu Feb 23 17:25:53 EST 2006

Benji York wrote:
> Dominik Huber wrote:
>> We came up with the same solution first. But our problem appears
>> within the following use case.
>>
>> A few developers are sharing code on application level (not  package
>> level!) for different dedicated customer projects. They have problems
>> to setup identical dev-environments (packages with the same revisions
>> etc.).
>
> I need to carefully reread your message and reply with more detail
> later, but I'll make a drive-by comment first. :)
>
> Ultimately, reproducible developer buildouts can never be represented
> solely with Subversion (or likely any RCS).  If you've been able to
> structure your projects such that it works, that's great, but that use
> case shouldn't be a driving force behind the common repository layout.
Yes, I know that. I'm fully aware that our suggestion is kind of a
workaround, but it works fairly good in pratice for a wide range of
applications.

Packages are one story of development. Other stories are exemplary
applications that depends on a certain set of packages. Such a set is an
important fine tuning (-> matching revisions or tags etc.) in other
words such a set is know-ledge about package combination that could be
shared between different projects relying on the same exemplary
application. It might minimize the barrier for new contributors and
early adopters - IMO that's fairly important too. That's my driving force :)

Regards,
Dominik

--
Dominik Huber