[Zope3-dev] Indirection Reporter

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Feb 26 10:45:48 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 09:14 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> > I think that such a tool would be useful. I see no benefit in trying to
> > provide a through-the-web view. (Actually, I see a little benefit and
> > lots of downside.)  I recommend a simple command line tool instead that
> > writes to standard output.
>
> What would be the downsides of a TTW view?

Mainly that you'd have build the support for this into a running server,
which seems like a bad idea to me.

You'd need some funky mechanism for switching into and out of the
tracing mode.

I think there would be a lot more data that would be useful in
a TTW interface.

You may want to trace the publishing code.

Overall, I think a simple command-line tool that creates a log would
be a lot simpler, cleaner, and more useful.

Jim