[Zope3-dev] Re: Two visions

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Mon Feb 27 11:38:03 EST 2006

Max M wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> 2) In an alternate vision, Zope 2 evolves to Zope 5.
>
> Zope 2 is complicated! It has too many layers of everything.

Layers are good, when they reliably hide complexity.

> The reason for Zope 3 is to make it simpler for developers.

Yep. 14'30'' wikis and such.

> Therefore I believe that any succesfull strategy would require Zope 3
> to be usable completely without all the Zope 2 layers.
>
> If Zope 3 becomes just another layer on top of Zope 2 -> CMF -> Plone
> it will not reduce complexity, as any developer would still need to
> learn the entire stack.

You mean, "on top" -> "below" ?

(And "Plone" -> "CPS" ;) ).
> Wherever practical, Zope 2 technologies should be rewritten to Zope 3
> technologies to remove layers from the stack.

To make discussion concrete, is there a list of (core, not CMF) Zope 2
technologies that are currently missing from Zope 3 ?

  S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps