[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Two visions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 28 07:22:23 EST 2006

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:31:33AM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>I will also note that just because Zope 2 won't die, it doesn't mean we
>>shouldn't clean it up. Eventually, Zope should mostly be reusing things
>>from Zed.
>

> +sys.maxint
>
> I think this will be the way we get a real forward migration path for an
> awful lot of us who are still using Zope 2 today, and expect to continue
> doing so.
>
> We may or may not ever port to "zope 3", whatever that will mean in the
> future. More likely we will just incrementally improve and clean up our
> applications, just as Zope 2 itself will be getting incrementally better
> and cleaner.  We'll have to address deprecation warnings at each
> upgrade, but at no point will we be forced to do a complete rewrite.
> And along the way, we'll be gradually getting access to more and more
> nifty features.

I don't see how we need a new vision. This has been the vision
(evolution, not revolution) that I've been carrying out with Five for
the last few years and thanks to a lot of contributions by a large range
of developers, we've been making it work. Can't we just keep going on
the way we've been going then?

Regards,

Martijn