[Zope3-dev] Re: Two visions

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Feb 28 10:13:25 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
>>1) Our current vision (AFAIK) is that Zope 3 will eventually
>>   replace Zope 2
>>
>>2) In an alternate vision, Zope 2 evolves to Zope 5.
>

> As you probably know already, I am -1 on the second proposal, since it will
> disallow us to finally get rid of the old Zope 2 code.

Either way we're not getting rid of the old Zope 2 code for a while.

> Anyways, since I think the vision has too littel technical detail for
> my taste, I would really like to see some prototyping before I give
> my final vote.

I'm not really sure how you think we should do that... Prototyping an
entire vision is a lot of work ;)

> I just want to be ensured that I do not have to deal with additional overhead
> (i.e. learn Zope 2 again), but can develop Zope 3 applications as I like it.

I really don't think you'd have to learn Zope 2 again. As I noted in my
short response to Jim's proposal,

a) you'll be able to continue to create web apps with just the Zed
components. There won't be a zed.app or so, but zed.publisher would be
the WSGI-capable publishing machinery that you can use to (given
appropriate publication objects or whatever will be there in the future)
publish objects using views and whatever we have not right now.

b) Zope 5 will use zed functionality all over the place. Our current
efforts with Five are providing a good deal of this already and we're
going to continue with that. Having to learn "Zope 2" all over again
will probably not mean the same thing in the context of Zope 5 as it
does right now.

Philipp