[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Two visions

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:26:12 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 00:22, Encolpe Degoute wrote:
> Lennart Regebro a écrit :
> | OK, some initial, fuzzy comments:
> |
> | On 2/27/06, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> |>2) In an alternate vision, Zope 2 evolves to Zope 5.
> |>
> |>   - Zope 5 will be the application server generally known as Zope.  It
> |>     will be backward compatible (to the same degree that Zope 2
> |>     releases are currently backward compatible with previous Zope 2
> |>     releases) with Zope 2.  Zope 5 will similarly be backward
> |>     compatible with Zope 3 applications built on top of the current
> |>     Zope 3 application server.
> |>
> |>     Note that Zope 5 will leverage Zope 3 technologies to allow a
> |>     variety of configurations, including a Zope 2-like configuration
> |>     with implicit acquisition and through-the-web development, and a
> |>     Zope 3-like configuration that looks a lot like the current Zope
> |>     3 application server.  Maybe, there will be a configuration that
> |>     allows Zope 2 and Zope 3 applications to be combined to a
> |>     significant degree.
> |
> | This overwhelms my complexity sensor. :-)
> |
> | I like the vision of Zope2 becoming a set of extra packages you
> | install for Zope3, to get backwards compatibility. Maybe this is the
> | same as what you call Zope 5, maybe not.
>
> I vote for this one.
> There's already Five product to help Zope2 products to become to be
> Zope3 compatible. Now, it's to Zope2 developpers to do the
> migration step.

+1 also, though I've done next to no pure Zope 3 development, I've done
enough development with Five to realize that the major problems with
developing in this manner come from having to deal with artifacts of Zope 2.
As a result, I think it's best to componentize the bits of Zope 2 that
provide useful features missing from Zope 3, and abandon the rest.  Being
able to transfer existing Zope 2 applications with little effort is not a
terribly important goal IMO, especially if doing so requires making Zope 3
more monolithic and Zope 2ish.

Alec