[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Two visions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 28 11:33:40 EST 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:
[snip]
>>In this vision, the Zope 3 project should stay where it is and push
>>things forward. That doesn't mean Five should be ignored by Zope 3
>>developers, but it should be compartmentalized in people's minds. Zope 3
>>does innovation, Five does integration, and then the big codebases can
>>move forward using both.
>
> I think the other major point is the "door #2" proposal takes pressure
> off of Zope3:  under that regime, Zope3 does not need to grow all the
> features present in Zope2, which door #1 *does* imply.

What I'm confused about is that we've already solidly gone through door
#2 a while ago. Since we went through door #1 once people started
developing pure Zope 3 applications, I don't see the either-or of these
visions.

Sure, there is pressure on Zope 3 for features that aren't there yet.
Overall I think that's good. The pressure shouldn't be artificial and
just a point by point comparison with Zope 2, but if actual projects
need a feature in Zope 3 they can start building it and that's only good.

What is new here? What is the concrete proposal besides juggling around
names confusing everybody?

Regards,

Martijn