[Zope3-dev] BBB and Deprecation Warnings

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Jan 3 13:14:58 EST 2006

Hi all,

now that we switched to time-based releases, it seems that our policy to
support old API for two more 3.x releases is not appropriate anymore. Two
release cycles are now only 12 months long, which seems a bit short. So let's
make the deprecation support also time-based. What time would you prefer?

- 12 months (2 releases)
- 18 months (3 releases)
- 24 months (4 releases)

Note that there is a tradeoff for longer deprecation times. The longer a
feature is gone, the more likely it is that you will not remember how it
works and thus be unable to help people. For example, do you still remember
how the old local component registry worked? I don't! :-)

As a corollary, it would be time now to remove the BBB that should be removed
for 3.3. Should we wait for 3.4? Or make an exception for this BBB code,
since it was written before timely releases came around?

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter