[Zope3-dev] Re: December release post-mortem

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 19 10:18:29 EST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:00:43AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
| Stephan Richter wrote:

| >>Right. If eggs work out, then a respository check out will be a lot
| >>smaller, but will download needed eggs.  This would be a replacement of
| >>the
| >>use of externals we have now.
| >

| >Oh, this will make development so much more tedious. Let's say
| >zope.testbrowser is an egg and I discover a bug in zope.textbrowser while
| >doing some other Zope 3 development, I have to check out zope.testbrowser,
| >fix the bug, check it in, download the new egg and hope it fixed my Zope 3
| >problem. Honestly this is far too much and I will at most make a bug
| >report.
|
| I beliave that Eggs have a development mode in which you can work on the
| source.

Concerning eggs, I have read the front-page description but haven't
worked with them.  However I do have experience with developing
Eclipse plugins and the concept sounds about the same.  Eggs seem more
akin to Eclipse plugins than to Java jars.

Here's how it works in eclipse, and I believe that "development mode"
of the eggs is the same:  in your workspace you check out all of the
plugins/eggs that you are working on.  When you launch the
application, the system will use the plugins/eggs from the workspace
as they are in the directory structure.  You do not need to separately
modify, build, release, and install a dependent plugin/egg.

I think this will work well to make zope's packaging and distribution
as modular as the code itself is.  Each plugin/egg can be released in
its own right at its own time (as applicable) and will be easy for
other applications to reuse various components and, at least as I see
it from my eclipse experience, will not hurt the development process
of zope.

-D

--
Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org