[Zope3-dev] December release post-mortem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jan 19 10:29:16 EST 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Sure, I support dependencies and separating out Zope into sub projects,
> I'm just listing an additional use case: the repository state should be
> similar to release state, to avoid confusion for developers as well as
> people who want to become developers.
>
> I.e. a developer should have the ability to easily see the same (or
> similar) code layout, dependencies, etc, as in a release, and someone
> familiar with a release should see the same (or similar) code layout,
> dependencies, if they become a developer.

Right, got it.  A checkout and a release should be very similar.
If eggs work out, then they would both use eggs to satisfy their
dependencies.

> Another use case, probably mostly in the context of Five, it's nice to
> have an inclusive release of Zope 3 in Zope 2. The goal of reducing the
> amount of code included in Zope 2 sounds nice in theory, but it stops
> Five developers from exposing Zope 3 code in Zope 2 because it simply
> isn't there in a particular release. It is *nice* to have all of Zope 3
> included in Zope 2. I don't want to lose that good thing in the rush to
> minimize dependencies.

Right now Five/Zope2 include lots of packages they don't and may never
use.  I want Five/Zope2 to not *have* to include packages they don't
need just because we've created monoliths.  I especially don't want
to release experimental code through Five/Zope2 just because we don't
have our repository and/or packaging in order.

Jim