[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:36:56 EST 2006

Rocky Burt wrote:
> I was about to make that same point.  Having to know how to use two
> different configuration types makes getting started harder.

...well, I'll say it again, you have to know both of these anyway ;-)

> But, another few points that I'd like are:
>   - using (and only using) XML-based configuration files makes it much
> easier for people of other large systems (ie j2ee) who are starting out
> with zope feel much more at home and thus lowers the barrier of entry -
> I say this from personal experience

Personally, I think more people have used Apache than J2EE, and Apache
uses .conf files for its configuration...

>   - building applications or products that need to generate
> configuration files is much easier if the config files are XML-based -
> parsing and generating gets much easier

Can you give a more specific use case here? I've never had to generate
config files in a way that would have been easier had they been XML-based...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk