[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:39:05 EST 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Not that XML will magically make it easier (thought it may make it more
> familiar, and potentially be more compatible with existing toolchains),
> but the big danger is that some day you'll want to look at some
> tutorial  or example or work with someone else's code (Chris W's code,
> say :-) that  uses ZConfig or whatever else because said person didn't
> like XML for  religious reasons. Yipes, new syntax, more learning curve.
> And totally  unnecessary.

Okay, just because everyone seems to be ignoring the point, I'll say it
a third time ;-)

You already have to know both .conf and .zcml to use Zope 3. I'd prefer
that to only be .conf for exactly the reasons you give above.

> I'm highly +1 for replacing things that currently use ZConfig with ZCML
> and highly -1 on making ZConfig an optional alternative to ZCML at the
> developer's whim.

I would favour the opposite.
.conf has been around for a lot longer than .zcml...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk