[Zope3-dev] RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:44:08 EST 2006

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> What is the fundamental difference between ZConfig and ZCML apart from
> the esthetic appearance that everyone seems to be so concerned with? I
> see that all the attributes in the ZCML format are presented as elements
> in the ZConfig format.

My point exactly ;-)

> what does this imply *semantically* to put the information in attributes
> as opposed to put it in elements?
> maybe a better balance is needed between full-fledge attribute-based
> design (ZCML) and full-fledge element-based design (ZConfig).
>
> there is an article about the element vs attribute distinction that
> might be worth reading.
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-eleatt.html

As I said earlier, I think XML is wrong for configuration for exactly
this kind of reason... element-based is right for this type of config,
it's why Apache uses, it's why Zope 2 uses it, and it's why Zope 3 uses
it for the .conf file...

...some might even say it's bizarre to suddenly switch to a different
language just because you're going off to include another .conf file, as
site.zcml is from zope.conf...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk