[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 05:13:33 EST 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> No, I heard you the first time. But whilst zope.conf has been around for ages,
> it has not been used for the purpose that ZCML is now used.

Really? I thought ZCML was used for configuration of a web
application/server. .conf has been used exactly that with Apache for a
long long time, and for Zope, just a "long" time ;-)

> The kind of thing
> people do with ZCML are an order of magnitude more complex than the things
> people do in zope.conf.

Really? Ever written Apache rewrite rules?

> What is true is that there are now two books in print and a growing body of
> documentation that explains ZCML. If you're suggesting that Zope deprecates ZCML
> and starts using ZConfig for component wiring, you're going to turn that
> documentation from useful to confusing,

We're talking about some pretty minimal differences...

   <browser:addMenuItem
     title="Posting"
     class=".posting.Posting"
     permission="zope.ManageContent"
     view="AddPosting.html"
   />

   <require
     permission="zope.ManageContent"
     names="title body"
   />

Becomes:

<browser:addMenuItem>
   title       Posting
   class       .posting.Posting
   permission  zope.ManageContent
   view        AddPosting.html
</browser:addMenuItem>

<require>
   permission  zope.ManageContent
   name        title
   name        body
</require>

> and you're going to alienate a few more
> developers (and honestly, Zope 3 doesn't yet have that many to alienate).

This hasn't stopped big changes in Zope 3 so far, and I kinda like that...

> to find out if they want to bet on it for their next big development project, it
> doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it? And for what reason? Because you
> don't personally like the aesthetics of XML?

Actually, because I want to lower barriers to entry. Apache is the most
prevelant web server on the planet. It uses .conf format. Zope also uses
.conf format, and has done for years. Zope 3 then introduced ZCML, which
no other web server on the planet uses ;-)

So no, this is NOT just about the aesthetics of XML...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk