[Zope3-dev] RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

ksmith99 (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Tue Jan 24 15:35:13 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:

>>> I like this proposal.  It is likely to reduce the total amount of code.
>>>
>>> However, I want to be sure that consolidating engines is the real
>>> focus of the proposal.  Converting XML files to ZConfig format doesn't
>>> seem like an interesting change.
>>

>> If you don't convert your ZCML files to ZConfig format, you'll have to
>> support the ZCML reader as well, so I think it'd lead to more code
>> unless such a thing were done.
>
> Huh?  Geez, my proposal must have been really unclear. I'm not proposing
> replacing ZCML files with ZConfig files. I'm proposing leveraging the ZCML
> engine and especially the system for extensibility for handling ZConfig files.
> This would require some new code, but would reduce the amount of code
> overall.  It would also reduce the number of configuration-file extension
> mechanisms needed.  Finally, it would make it a lot easier to extend ZConfig
> file handling.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Fulton           mailto:jim at zope.com       Python Powered!
> CTO                  (540) 361-1714            http://www.python.org
> Zope Corporation     http://www.zope.com       http://www.zope.org

I think people are afraid to give ZCML anymore traction than it already has.  I for one find it intimidating and confusing. Not so much because of its format, or api documentation, but because it is unclear what and  how all the names and attributes interrelate. It's taken me two books, a bunch of samples, and alot of trial and error to get me to a very basic level. It seems easy now that I know what I know, but I thought Zope3 was going to have a flatter learning curve. I blame ZCML and whatever it might be hiding. :)

Kevin Smith