[Zope3-dev] RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Jan 24 14:43:02 EST 2006

Fred Drake wrote at 2006-1-23 09:56 -0500:
>On 1/23/06, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> As I said earlier, I think XML is wrong for configuration for exactly
>> this kind of reason... element-based is right for this type of config,
>> it's why Apache uses, it's why Zope 2 uses it, and it's why Zope 3 uses
>> it for the .conf file...
>
>There are no elements in the ZConfig configuration language.
>Sections, yes, but as has been noted, those don't trivially map to XML
>elements.

Really?

What prevents you to map ZCML elements to ZConfig sections and their
attributes to ZConfig keys?

Only for "#PCDATA", there is not equivalent in "ZConfig".
But, almost surely, ZCML does not use "#PCDATA"...

I have the feeling that mapping ZCML syntax onto ZConfig
syntax is easier than the other way round (as ZConfig supports
multikeys but XML allows only a single attribute of a given name).

--
Dieter