[Zope3-dev] Re: Deploying WSGI Apps with Zope 3.2+

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 16:36:12 EST 2006

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> +1 to that.  I think Chris doesn't really believe in the Second Law of
>> Python (according to the prophet Peters).

Urm, can you refresh for someone with hazy knowledge of PSU epistles?

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> No, Chris just doesn't like XML namespaces.  You can still have
> explicitness without XML namespaces.

namespaces have their place, ZCML is not it ;-)

> I think I'm starting to grasp the XML division among Zope developers.
> ZConfig schema definitions use a conventional style of XML with deeply
> nested elements, text nodes, and no namespaces,

Ah yes, XML as it was intended ;-)

> while ZCML uses its own
> style with minimal nesting, many attributes, and many namespaces.

What? Insanity ;-)

> Many
> of us have a strong preference for one style or the other and we're
> perplexed that others would actually prefer their crazy style.

*grinz*

> I remember that Jim once presented two XML samples and asked which one
> was more readable.  I preferred many elements over many attributes.  He
> preferred the opposite.  I thought he was crazy, and as I recall, he
> thought I was crazy, too. :-)

Me? I think you're both crazy: use .conf format...

> Eh... I guess every mailing list ends up battling over style concerns.
> The least important issues lead to the biggest battles.  After I throw
> some quotes and colons at you, you can throw some angle brackets and
> ambiguous whitespace at me, then we'll call a truce. :-)

*smiles*

I'm enjoying the discussion and honestly, I'll be happy to go with what
the majority decide...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk