[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-Users] Visionaire! (All your problems, solved)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Mar 1 23:48:58 EST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 11:31 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Chris McDonough wrote:
>> [...]  the process of  identifying
>> dependencies and eliminating the silly ones is the  valuable work
>> here, and it seems to be getting done by embracing egg  packaging,
>> which is really wonderful.
>
> Such a gushing endorsement!  Now I feel guilty for not having tried
> eggs yet.

Heh.  Actually when I used the adjectival prepositional phrase "which
is really wonderful", I meant to refer to the "valuable work" and not
"egg packaging".  I really should have said "the valuable work of
identifying dependencies is really wonderful, and it seems to be
getting done by embracing egg packaging".  Eggs are pretty wonderful
too, but the dependency identification and nominal enforcement by
making packages buildable outside of the natural SVN tree is really
the important bit for us.

> <excuse>
> <offtopic>
> Portage does packaging so well that I have to remind myself that
> other people still have packaging problems. ;-)  Unfortunately,
> Portage is an all-or-nothing solution.
> </offtopic>
> </excuse>

Eggs are the shiny new driver (due to a way to specify dependencies
and automatic dependency resolution via easy_install) but no matter
which packaging system we use, I'm very happy that we're doing the
work of splitting things into smaller bits.  I believe it might give
Zope a new lease on life.

- C