[Zope3-dev] RFC: Use ConfigParser for High-Level Configuration

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Mar 5 14:33:13 EST 2006

--On 5. März 2006 13:56:38 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

>> The right way would be to refactor ZConfig and decouple it in a
>> reasonable way from its dependencies.
>
> I think this would be a major rewrite.

Possibly but I don't consider that to be a strong argument for introducing
a weaker mechanism.>

> They have to deal with it now, but now it's really hard.  I think that a
> simpler
> approach would allow much simpler configuration support.  To extend
> ZConfig now,
> you have to create XML schema descriptions, and have deep knowledge of how
> ZConfig works.
>
> Why do you think it's better to have to create a monolithic schema for all
> applications bits that want to use the configuration file, rather than
> letting
> individual applications define how to read their own data independently?

A monolithic schema is of course a problem. I am sure it could be solved by
refactoring ZConfig.

> There could still be frameworks to make handling configuration data
> easier.

I agree but I really dislike the idea of flattening a hierarchical
structure
into a INI-like format. Having /x/y/z as section names looks both funny and
somewhat unprofessional. The format looks as if would have been invented by
a first grader. There is no question that ZConfig has the problems you
described. But I consider such a flat representation as poor and a step back
instead of a step forward (independent of the effort needed to simply and
refactor ZConfig).

-aj