[Zope3-dev] RFC: Use ConfigParser for High-Level Configuration

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 16:03:35 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:

> At:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/UseConfigParserForHighLevelConfiguration

Sorry, working offline, can't check, hope I haven't missed anything
crucial :-S

> Is a proposal for using ConfigParser, rather than ZConfig for high-level
> configuration.
>
> Comments welcome.

This smacks of re-invention for the sake of it. I happen to like ZConfig
  a lot. The way it's used in Zope 2 is a little unpleasant, admittedly,
but I think it makes a fine configuration language.

The xml required for the schema is pretty trivial if you're coming from
zcmhell...

I must be missing some big reasons why you'd want to use an inferior
config language and rewrite a big chunk of working, battle tested
software, but I guess that's in the proposal..

Anyway, a big -1 from me, especially given the backwards compatibility
issues prople like myself, with MailingLogger and a number of
ZConfig-based, and Dieter, with his NNTP server and doubtless other
things, will face.

Fred, FWIW, I was really really happy to see that generic section go
into the schema, I just haven't had a chance to use it yet...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk