[Zope3-dev] Mandatory Viewing!

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Mar 7 13:27:48 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> I usually do not send messages like that, but in light of the recent
> discussions about vision, viewing this will give us all some perspective on
> what people are looking for:
>
> http://theploneblog.org/archive/2006/03/02/faster-better-cheaper
>
> I think currently Zope 3 would end up a little bit better than J2EE, but not
> much.

+1.  Note that a large portion of the Java community has rejected J2EE.
  I think the Python community is even less receptive to something
J2EE-like than the Java community.

> I also think that the priorities the narrator sets are real ones
> representing a lot of people. So let's discuss this movie a little bit and
> see how we could do well in his evaluation.

It is a beautiful story and I dearly want it to work.  But the story
currently has major limitations; developers reach a point where they
have to make a big switch, learn numerous libraries, and rewrite a lot
of their code.  How can we fix that?

Part of the problem is that Zope 3 makes too great a distinction between
developers and scripters.  Successful scripters become developers, and
developers often act as scripters.  I think the use cases need to see
scripters and developers as the same people.  The other Python web
frameworks seem to be oriented this way and they've had a lot of success.

Shane