[Zope3-dev] Re: A Take on the Hello World Acid Test - from Mandatory Viewing

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Thu Mar 9 08:38:48 EST 2006

To answer the question at the end of your document: yes.  Please
continue on, showing the next smallest possible next step that is
interesting.  Hopefully this step can be done with making the viewer
confront interfaces, adapters, etc.

About the middle part, what's really needed to ensure newbies get a
positive, confidence-building first experience?

Scaffolding.

Your document shows the chants needed that most newcomers wouldn't
expect they should be aware of.  Let's eliminate that, for that audience
(if we care about that audience, which might be a different discussion.)

One little Python script, maintained as part of the standard
distribution, referred to ubiquitously as the right way to start, would
have more impact on Zope adoption than nearly any other software
activity (save, perhaps, for zope.bobo).  All IMO, of course.

--Paul