[Zope3-dev] RFC: Use ConfigParser for High-Level Configuration

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 13 07:26:00 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>> I'd like to be able to use configuration files for the
>> test runner, but I really don't want ZConfig to be a
>> dependency of the test runner.  I also don't want to
>> go through all of the gymnasics required to develop a ZConfig
>> schema just for the test runner.
>

> What are these gymnastics you speak of?

Have you written a ZConfig schema?  Have you tried to read the
documentation on writing one? Have you writtem an application
that uses ZConfig? If you had, I think you'd know what I was
talking about.

>> This isn't all that common.
>

> Hmmm, the number of DeprecationWarnings I seem to see with Zope
> 3-related stuff would appear to disagree with that...

These aren't due to new features added and discarded.  This is
generally due to refinement based on experience.

>> Note that in my proposal, I proposed supporting the ZConfig
>> format, at least for a while.
>

> Isn't there some way we could make this switchable so we don't have to
> make either/or choices?
> (I'd still be verymuch in favour of seeing ZConfig as the default.)

I don't know what you are asking, since I said in this thread and in
the proposal that we could support the old format.

>> I assume this was done because it's too much of a PITA to write ZConfig
>> schemas.
>

> I think you assume wrong there...

Oh? What evidence do you have?  Do you think it was done because
meaningless options are considered a good thing?

>> Paste Deploy provides a framework for doing
>> this.  I'd rather colaborate on something that exists that
>> have to reinvent it just to keep using ZConfig.
>

> Well, maybe they could use ZConfig? Has anyone asked them?

Why don't you do that.  In fact, why don't you lobby to
have it added to the standard library?

Jim