[Zope3-dev] what is ZCML?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Mar 13 18:58:19 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:14:08PM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> You're aware of the DRY principle, right?  ZCML is repetitive, and
> repetitive is wrong.

We tend to think that repetition is *always* wrong, but in other fields
there are cases in which it depends who the reader is, and how the
repetition is expressed. One thing I learned in my long-ago days as a
music student is that the least repetetive way to write a score is often
the most difficult to sight-read.  The stupidest, most repetitive
way to write the score is very easy to read; it's completely linear, so
the reader can't get lost.  You can notate repetition easily enough, and
make the score more compact, at the expense of requiring the reader to
mentally construct the linear model and maintain more mental state
while playing.

I have no idea whether any of that applies to ZCML, so I'll re-lurk now.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com