[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope Eggs

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Mar 15 07:00:49 EST 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
>
>>During the Zope3 sprint following PyCon, Paul and I, with Jim's
>>guidance,  began work on exploring how Zope can utilize eggs and be
>>packaged using eggs.  Since we're still experimenting with how eggs
>>will be used, I wrote a script, zpkgegg, which reads the zpkg
>>configuration information for a package and generates a "standard"
>>setup.py from which an egg and vanilla sdist can be generated.
>>
>>You can find the script in subversion in the projectsupport project.
>>For a brief overview of how the script is used, see README.txt (in
>>http://svn.zope.org/projectsupport/trunk/src/zpkgegg/).  The eggs
>>generated by zpkgegg do not attempt to distinguish between "runtime",
>>"testing" or "development" dependencies, so almost all packages will
>>want zope.testing.  README.txt contains a brief example of how to
>>point easy_install at the appropriate folders so that easy_install can
>>resolve the dependencies.
>>
>>Note that at this point we're still experimenting with how we'll use
>>eggs, so suggestions, feedback and comments are welcome.
>

> I've been playing around a lot, trying to get at least the eggs together
> to make ZPT usable outside of Zope (one of the original sprint goals).
> I have a couple of observations:
>
> 1. Putting 'setup.cfg' under version control sucks, because the
>   'develop' framework scribbles on it.  I think we should do two things:
>
>   - Move any "special" settings to a 'setup.cfg.in', and modify the
>     workspace stuff to read that first when creating setup.cfg.
>
>   - Make 'setup.cfg' a 'svn:ignore' file (at lest on the trunk).

Agreed. IMO, we should either not scrible on setuop.cfg or not check it in.
I vote for not scribbling on it.

> 2. Getting the development dependencies installed was harder than
>    it seemed.  Some packages (perhaps with help from a stanza in
>    'setup.cfg') could do that when running 'develop.py';  others
>    needed me to run 'setup.py develop'.  Maybe we should just kick
>    off 'setup.py develop' at the end of the 'develop.py' dance?

I suspect these are just lingering bugs.

One thing I noticed, when I tried a few days ago was that zope.testing
had a bogus dependency that made it's installation fail.

> 4. We need to begin creatinng "released" versions of the eggs (maybe
>    numbering them according to the Z3 release they point into), and
>    reorganizing the download page a bit (maybe "development" builds
>    need to go on one page, and "release" builds on another).

Why do you say this?  I agree that we need this eventually, but it
feels a bit early to me.  Also, I expect and hope that many packages
will have release cycles independent of Zope.

Jim