[Zope3-dev] Re: Proposals vs. developer docs [was: Reducing the Amount of ZCML Directives ready for review]

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Mar 20 06:18:15 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:

>>>Done now.
>>
>>Did you manage to make a start on a developer changes document for Zope 3.2?
>

> Not yet. I've thought about this some more. I think that you're right about the
> developer visibility of changes. I also think that doubling information in the
> wiki and in the source (where it will likely rot if it's not a doctest) isn't
> ideal.

Using proposals for communicating development-level changes is not
ideal. This is why Python has a separate "what changed in Python 2.x"
document series, which is actually readily comprehensible, as opposed to
many of the PEPs.

So, suggestions to improve the proposal process for Zope 3 sound fine,
but they don't target the issue I've been trying to point out. I do not
see this as doubling the information - there is frequently a large
difference between a proposal for a Zope 3 core developer audience and a
description for a Zope 3 developer after it has been done. In addition,
there is frequently a difference between what's been proposed and what
exactly has been done.

Regards,

Martijn